Grainline Studio : Tiny Pocket Tank
Mystery Food print in Cotton Lawn from the Cotton + Steel Tokyo Train Ride collection
I’ve made so many Wiksten Tanks that I haven’t been in a rush to try any other tank patterns. I thought this cute octopus print would be perfect for a summer tank and for a new tank experiment.
I was excited about the prospect of the darts to get a more shapely fit. I could tell right away when I looked at the darts on the pattern that they were too big for me. I double checked online and the pattern is drafted for a B-cup, so I thought I would be able to just reduce it by half and call it a day. I didn’t quite like how that looked so I reduced it a bit more. As I was reading online about other people’s pattern adjustments, I decided that rather than dissecting the pattern any further I would just stay with my dart adjustment and finish it up so I could get to wearing it.
I enjoyed all the extra details on the bias trim like clipping notches and understitching to make things lay flat. Plus, the curved hem of this pattern is much easier to stitch since it is not as severe as the Wiksten. Even though I love a good pocket matching challenge, I decided to leave off the tiny pocket because of all the extra stitching it took to get the dart just right.
I know a lot of people find the fit of the Wiksten Tank doesn’t work for them and likely this pattern might be better. Has anyone else made both? What are your thoughts?
I’m happily putting this cute tank into my wardrobe rotation right away!
I finally finished my last Swoon block on Monday. Hooray! I started this quilt at the end of March in our Swoon class and never got to finishing that last block.
Of course, I decided to make things complicated for myself with this quilt. Why not!? I decided to make it quite scrappy, by having all my background fabrics a different print. And then, to make it even more complex, I decided to throw in a rogue point in every block with ANOTHER print. All the extra effort and care was totally worth it because I was able to fit in so many fabrics into this quilt that mean a lot to me. For instance, in this last block I used the arrow fabric that I block printed with Lizzy at the Makerie last year, along with some scraps of Lizzy Dish and the centre star is made from a Japanese floral fabric we had at the workroom close to when we opened that Debbie was kind enough to give me a piece of, since I didn’t have any of it in my stash. My favourite block of all is this one. There is just something about that combination of colours and prints that I’m so in love with. The Japanese tree print that I bought in Utah, the way the Anna Maria Horner Good Folks print sparkles in each point and the tiny little point with grey lambs that Amanda sent to me because she knew how much I adored that print.
Now I need to decide on a sashing & border fabric. Since I’ve gone all scrappy with my backgrounds I’m not too sure what to do. I’m hoping the perfect bolt of fabric is just going to show up at the shop in the next couple weeks so that I can finish up this quilt top. It might happen! I’ll keep you guys posted.