I’ve had my eye on this dress pattern for a while. It’s my favourite from this book. I really like the yoke with the little split down the centre of it. The open sleeve is also pretty cute.
I made few alterations to this pattern. The first was to take a couple inches off the sides of the dress. I could tell from the picture that all the gathering would just create too much volume for me. The next thing I did was to add pockets into the side seams. Finally. I don’t know why I’ve been avoiding taking this extra step with my dresses, it’s so nice to have pockets! I simply took another dress I have that has pockets I love, traced the pocket piece and measured how far down they were placed. So easy. I also added a little contrasting bias strip between the yoke and the body of the dress and faced the hem of the sleeves since they are so exposed. I learned these bits of detailing when I made the Oliver & S Tea Party Dress and I’ve been wanting to use it again. The metallic floral print was also used for the pocket pieces. These extra details didn’t take that long to do and really make the dress extra sweet.
The fabric is really what this dress is all about though. It is called “Wild Horses” (of course) by Alexander Henry. It looks like it belongs on the side of an 80s airbrushed van and for some reason I love it so much. It was one of those fabrics that when I saw it, I could hardly believe how great it was and then I selfishly bought a bolt because I knew I had to make a dress from it.
I’ve been wearing it with these amazing purple tights I bought in Paris. Perhaps the whole thing is a bit much together, but it makes me pretty happy.